Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Paint brush

I found a brush on my desk this morning, a No 4 filbert with a rounded tip like a flat only round a nice brush, nice size. It’s a Robert Simmons TT42 and silver handle call Titanium, a synthetic hair that I use with my Aqua Oils. You need synthetics they hold the snap and don’t get mushy as do the natural hair brushes in a water based medium. I like this one a lot.


When I paint I generally use the same brush unless I’m doing something that needs different piles of paint then it’s easier to use several, one for each, esp. when blue is involved. That color stains a brush’s bristles and you really need to flush it with a good cleaner to change colors. Even thou I use a water based paint I do use paint thinner to clean the brushes and do leave them in the thinner overnight and longer. And yes some do bend and I reshape them when cleaning and only through out a couple I’ve ruined due to my poor cleaning habits but, mostly they stay nice and fresh.

My thinking is to keep them wet and they really do get nice and clean at least enough to paint with minimum effort, you just wipe them with a clean rag. Now that is a cloth rag you can get a box of painters rags a good months supply at Home Depot paint department, I’m not a big proponent of paper towels. They just don’t have the feel I like no matter what brand, although they are handy for spills, esp. coffee…

No comments:

Post a Comment